The one thing I love about music is that everyone has their own story to tell – the musician, the lyrics, the way the fans decipher them and also the way a song can also create a memory or a meaning to someone. For this Christmas, I thought it would be fun to pause Listed for the month and celebrate Christmas songs and memories attached to them.
Original Release Date: 19th October 1998
Ok, so this song is not a Christmas single but it is something that reminds me of the festive day and I have some fun memories and always think of it when this song comes on. It was the year that Furby’s were a huge thing and I was very lucky to get one, a grey and black spotted one with a pink belly. It was great, his name was Akay and it was such a fun Christmas interacting with him and seeing what he can do. At the time he was a technology that really was ahead of it’s time.
Every year when we used to stay at home for Christmas we would always have Top of The Pops on as it was a great thing to have on as they would always play tracks from the year that were the biggest selling tracks. One of the songs that came on was none other then Cher as it was one of the biggest tracks of the year.
When it was on, we decided to put Furby on top of the television as they were meant to dance when they heard music but instead he did the opposite – he heard the music and said he was bored and went to sleep. It was really funny and always reminds me of Christmas time.
Facts About Believe
- From her 22nd studio album also called Believe
- Topped numerous charts around the world
- It earned Cher a place in the Guinness Book of World Records as the oldest female solo artist to top the Billboard Hot 100 chart and became the highest-selling single by a solo female artist in the United Kingdom.
- “Believe” was named the best-performing song of 1999 by Billboard
- It was placed on the 2021 revised list of Rolling Stone’s “500 Greatest Songs of All Time” at No. 337.