Each week, we will be taking an in depth look at some of the best sitcoms and comedy shows from both the UK and the USA.
Today we will be looking at a show where all the characters were inspired by real people – The League of Gentlemen
About the Show
Summary of Plot
An interweaving narrative chronicling the antics of such diverse characters as: a transsexual taxi driver, a family obsessed with hygiene and toads, a fiery reverend, a carnival owner who kidnaps women into marriage, and a xenophobic couple who run a local shop for local people.. – IMDb
Number of Seasons / Episodes
Mark Gatiss – Various Characters
Steve Pemberton – Various Characters
Reece Shearsmith – Various Characters
Jeremy Dyson – Various
- Tubbs and Edward were based on a real incident which occurred when the cast visited a small shop. The woman behind the counter acted scared, like they were about to rob her.
- While saying her marriage vows, Barbara gets David’s first names the wrong way around (she says “Charles David” instead of “David Charles”). This is a reference to Lady Diana Spencer getting Prince Charles’ names wrong during their real-life wedding (Diana said “Philip Charles Arthur George” instead of “Charles Philip Arthur George”).
- The Dentons are loosely based on real relatives of Jeremy Dyson, who went to stay with his relatives who told him to make himself at home, but found himself breaking lots of rules that he didn’t know existed.
- The character of Pauline is based on a restart officer that Reece Shearsmith had.
- The title of the show in Korea is “Psycho Village”.
- Most of the characters are inspired by real people that the gents have encountered.
- Tom Head, former drummer with The Fall, is often to be seen as one of Pauline’s job seekers.
Attachments Dating Agency
You’re My Wife Now
The Denstons House Rules
Categories: Comedy, Comedy Clicks, Television
Leave a Reply