Each week, we will be taking an in depth look at some of the best sitcoms and comedy shows from both the UK and the USA.
Today we will be looking at a comedy that is filmed in a similar was to Pars and Recreation and the Office US but looks at the world of crime – Trial And Error
Opening title Sequence / Theme Tune
About the Show
Summary of Plot
A spoof of crime documentaries about the arrest and trial of a beloved poetry professor from a small town in South Carolina, who is accused of brutally murdering his wife, and the young Northeastern lawyer hired to defend him.- IMDb
Number of Seasons / Episodes
Nicholas D’Agosto – Josh Segal
Jayma Mays – Carol Anne Keane
Steve Boyer – Dwayne Reed
Krysta Rodriguez – Summer Henderson
Sherri Shephard – Anne Fletch
John Lithgow – Larry Henderson
- The character name “Dwayne Reed” is a pun on “Duane Reade,” the ubiquitous New York drug store chain, while “Carol Anne Keane” plays on “Carolyn Keene,” the nom de plume of the various authors who wrote the Nancy Drew mystery books.
- Carol Anne Keane, the prosecutor, is named after Carolyn Keene, the pseudonym of the authors of the Nancy Drew mystery series.
- The address of the Henderson home is 187, referring to the California Penal Code for murder.
- The premise has many similarities to the Michael Peterson murder case. Peterson was a novelist in North Carolina and the character Larry Henderson is a poet in South Carolina. They are both accused of killing two wives in the same fashion (Peterson by pushing both down staircases and Henderson through windows) and both the real and fictional cases involve birds as a defense.
- The characters in the show regularly break the “Fourth Wall”; by looking directly into the Camera, whether they are explaining a scenes, backstory or simply looking at the camera – ergo the audience – to extend the humour in a scene.