Each week, we will be taking an in depth look at some of the best sitcoms and comedy shows from both the UK and the USA.
Today we will be looking at a comedy that it was announced that this show will be honoured with a large public mural, with all five main characters painted on the gable end of a bar in Derry – Derry Girls
About the Show
Summary of Plot
The personal exploits of a 16-year-old girl and her family and friends during the Troubles in the early 1990s.- IMDb
Number of Seasons / Episodes
Saoirse-Monica Jackson – Erin
Louisa Harland – Orla
Nicola Coughlin – Clare
Jamie-Lee O’Donnell – Michelle
Dylan Llewellyn – James
Tara Lynne O’Neill – Ma Mary
Kathy Kiera Clarke – Aunt Sarah
Tommy Tiernan – Da Gerry
Ian McElhinney – Granda Joe
- Six more episodes were commissioned by channel 4 on the same day series 1 episode 2 was aired.
- The orange parade scene (Unionist/Protestant event) was filmed in West Belfast (the mainly Nationalist/Catholic area). Although it was clear to see a tv production was being filmed some local people where angry and even threw objects during filming. This controversial scene was even mentioned in the local press at the time of filming.
- On 23 January 2019, it was announced that this show will be honored with a large public mural, with all five main characters painted on the gable end of a bar in Derry. In Northern Ireland, it has become a tradition to paint murals on the outside of buildings, with the purpose to depict the region’s cultural and political history.
- The school that the girls (and James) in the series attend is based on Thornhill College, where the show’s writer Lisa McGee went.
- Nicola Coughlan based her Derry accent on Nadine Coyle.
- Unlike most shows, this one was not dubbed for the international market. Instead, Netflix provides subtitles for the countries where this show was released.
- Due to royalty issues, various episodes have a different soundtrack on Netflix.
The Very Best Of Michelle
Accidentally Serving Drugged Scones as A Wake?!
Michelle vs James
Categories: Comedy, Comedy Clicks, Television
Leave a Reply