Each week, we will be taking an in depth look at some of the best sitcoms and comedy shows from both the UK and the USA.
Today we will be looking at a comedy that ran between the years of 1958 to 1966 and was the first show to feature the mother as a focal point in a family situation comedy – The Donna Reed Show
Opening Sequence / Theme Tune
About the Show
Summary of Plot
The Stones consist of loving homemaker Donna, her pediatrician husband Alex, and their children Mary and Jeff. Many situations arise like when they found a baby on their doorstep or take in a rebellious youth or when Donna tries to patch up marital spats among friends.–IMDb
Number of Seasons / Episodes
Donna Reed – Donna Stone
Paul Peterson – Jeff Stone
Carl Betz – Dr Alex Stone
- The first season opening credits of The Munsters (1964) were an outrageous parody of the opening credits of “The Donna Reed Show”, which always began with Donna Reedlovingly passing out lunches to her departing family members as they left the house one by one. Yvonne De Carlo, as Lily Munster, did the same thing.
- During the show’s early years, whenever a scene takes place in a supermarket, look very closely in the background. Chances are, you’ll see large amounts of Campbell’s Soup, V-8 Vegetable Juice, Franco-American Spaghetti, and various Johnson & Johnson products including their famous baby powder. Not coincidentally, those brands were the series’ original advertisers during its network run.
- Of the numerous family oriented situation comedies of the 1950s and early 60s, The Donna Reed Show was the first series to feature the mother as the focal point.
- he living room set was later used again as Major Nelson’s living room on “I Dream of Jeannie”.
- The character ‘Dr. Alex Stone’ was ranked #16 in TV Guide’s list of the “50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time” (20 June 2004 issue).
- Donna reed had uncredited in productings directing .
Decisions Decisions Decisions