Each week, we will be taking an in depth look at some of the best sitcoms and comedy shows from both the UK and the USA.
Today we will be looking at a comedy that show that was going to be cancelled after one season but has now become one of the longest running American Comedy Series – It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Opening Sequence / Theme Tune
About the Show
Summary of Plot
Five friends with big egos and slightly arrogant attitudes are the proprietors of an Irish bar in Philadelphia. –IMDb
Number of Seasons / Episodes
Charlie Day – Charlie Kelly
Glenn Howerton – Dennis Reynolds
Rob McElhennery – Mac
Kaitlin Oslin – Dee Reynolds
Danny Devito – Frank Reynolds
- Was almost cancelled after its first season, but renewed at the last minute when FX executives decided to give it room to grow. It has gone from the brink of cancellation, to being one of the highest rated and most popular shows on FX, and when the fourteenth scheduled season ends, it will be tied for longest running live-action American comedy series.
- Charlie (Charlie Day) and the Waitress (Mary Elizabeth Ellis) are married in real-life.
- Charlie Day once called the show’s opening credits sequence the cheapest credits ever, saying they shot the montage footage on a digital camera while driving around Philadelphia one night.
- Creator and star Rob McElhenney and co-star Kaitlin Olson got married in 2008. They have two children.
- The exterior used on the show for Mrs. Mac’s house, is actually next door to Rob McElhenney’s childhood house in Philadelphia.
- Since Danny DeVito was only available for twenty days of shooting during season two, the production crew had to work on all ten episodes of the season at once, often shooting scenes from multiple episodes in one day.
- The show’s budget was originally very tight, so much of the music featured on it is from a stock library, including the theme music “Temptation Sensation” by Heinz Kiessling.
- The show’s original pilot was a short film version of season one, episode four, “Charlie Has Cancer”. The story was later re-used in the series.
- When it got the two-season renewal for seasons eleven and twelve, it became one of the longest running cable television comedies, with a total of one hundred thirty-three episodes.
- Friends of the cast often play bit parts on the series
- Nominated for its first Emmy in 2013.
Charlies Dating Profile