Each week, we will be taking an in depth look at some of the best sitcoms and comedy shows from both the UK and the USA.
Today we will be looking at a comedy that the creator only wanted Matthew Perry as the lead – Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip
About the Show
Summary of Plot
A behind-the-scenes look at a fictional sketch-comedy television show. – iMDB
Number of Seasons / Episodes
Matthew Perry – Matt Albie
Amanda Peet – Jordan McDeere
Bradley Whitford – Danny Tripp
Steven Weber – Jack Ruldoplh
D.L. Hughley – Simon Styles
Sarah Paulson – Harriet Hayes
Nate Corddry – Tom Jeter
Timothy Busfield – Cal Shanley
- Matthew Perry originally turned down the role of Matt Albie, but Aaron Sorkin did not want to have anyone else play the part, and apparently would not take “No” for an answer. Perry reconsidered, and decided to jump on board.
- The character of Harriet Hayes is loosely modeled after Creator Aaron Sorkin’s former girlfriend, Kristin Chenoweth.
- The law firm of Gage Whitney Pace, employer of Mary Tate (Kari Matchett), was also the law firm at which Sam Seaborn (Rob Lowe’s character on The West Wing (1999)) worked before joining the Bartlet administration.
- Harriet’s inability to tell a joke is based on Sarah Paulson’s own inability t0o do so. Aaron Sorkin heard she had that problem, and thought it was hilarious, so he wrote it into the show.
- Immediately above the countdown board in Matt’s office is a black-on-white strip bearing the legend “Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. G. Marx”
- Sarah Paulson and Nate Corddry are the only cast members to appear in every episode.
Harriet Can’t Tell A Joke