Each week, we will be taking an in depth look at some of the best sitcoms and comedy shows from both the UK and the USA.
Today we will be looking at a comedy that was known to have improvised scenes and also used editing techniques to hide actors breaking character – Green Wing
Opening Sequence / Theme Tune
About the Show
Summary of Plot
Funky hospital-based sketch-comedy-drama type show.-IMDb
Number of Seasons / Episodes
Sally Bretton – Kim Alabaster
Oliver Chris – Boyce
Olivia Colman – Harriet Schulenburg
Michelle Gomez – Sue White
Tamsin Greig – Dr Caroline Todd
Pippa Haywood – Joanna Clore
Mark Heap – Dr Alan Statham
Katie Lyons – Naughty Rachel
Stephan Mangan – Dr Guilaume Secretan
Lucinda Raikes – Karen Ball
Julian Rhind-Tutt – Dr Macartney
Karl Theobald – Dr Martin Dear
- The speed up/slowdown scenes are occasionally used to mask actors breaking, or to disguise a change between takes.
- Stephen Mangan and Michelle Gomez have a tendency to improvise – the scene between Guy and Sue White where Guy is holding a child is entirely improvised, for example.
- Filmed in a working Hospital.
- The show contains both the onscreen and off-screen love interest of Jack Davenport. Sarah Alexander who played Steve’s (Davenport’s) fiancée Susan from Coupling, and Jack Davenport’s real life wife Michelle Gomez.
- One of the writers cameos as one of the people who applies to live with Carol.
- There is a Psychiatrist who looks and sounds almost exactly like Pip Torrens’s “Neurosurgeon” does.
Sue And the Cake