Each week, we will be taking an in depth look at some of the best sitcoms and comedy shows from both the UK and the USA.
Today we will be looking at a comedy that starred a very young Tom Hanks – Bosom Buddies
Opening Sequence / Theme Tune
About the Show
Summary of Plot
Two young single ad men must disguise themselves as women to live in the one apartment they can afford..– IMDb
Number of Seasons / Episodes
Tom Hanks – Buffy Wilson
Peter Scolari – Henry Desmond
Donna Dixon – Sony Lummet
Holland Taylor – Ruth Dunbar
Telma Hopkins – Isabelle Hammond
Wendie Jo Sperber – Amy Cassidy
- In summer 1984, Splash (1984) made Tom Hanks a household name. NBC bought the rights to the ABC sitcom and re-aired select episodes to lead off their Saturday night line-up.
- The pilot episode was shot on film, the rest of the series was shot on videotape.
- Tom Hanks girlfriend portrayed by Donna Dixon went on to marry Dan Akroyd. He played Tom Hanks partner in the movie Dragnet (1987).
- The main characters are named after two bars in Berkeley, CA: “Kip’s” and “Henry’s.”
- In an interview in TV Guide, Donna Dixon explained how she landed the role of Sonny, her acting debut. She knew that as an unknown she would be competing against a lot of women. To stand out, she wore a bright red tracksuit to the audition.
- Tom Hanks first meet his future wife, Rita Wilson when she made a guest appearance in this series in “All You Need Is Love” in 1981, but both were in other relationships at the time. They began dating a few years later when they met again on the set of Volunteers (1985).
- The advertising agency where Kip and Henry worked in during the first season was Livingston, Gentry & Mishkin.
Rita Wilson on Bosom Buddies