Each week, we will be taking an in depth look at some of the best sitcoms and comedy shows from both the UK and the USA.
Today we will be looking at a comedy that is set to return to the BBC in 2021 – Shakespeare & Hathaway: Private Investigators
About the Show
Summary of Plot
An oddball couple of private detectives named Luella Shakespeare and Frank Hathaway investigate crime in Stratford-upon-Avon.- iMDB
Number of Seasons / Episodes
Mark Benton – Frank Hathaway
Jo Joyner – Luella Shakespeare
Patrick Walshe McBride – Sebastian Brudenell
- The pub, The Mucky Mallard, is a play on the name of a pub in Stratford-Upon-Avon which is popular with actors, The Dirty Duck.
- The names of the main characters obviously refer to William Shakespeare and his wife, Anne Hathaway. The name of the senior police officer, ‘Marlowe’, is a reference to Christopher Marlowe, a playwright contemporary with Shakespeare. The assistant, ‘Sebastian’, most likely takes his name from the character in ‘Twelfth Night’. See individual episode’s trivia sections for more character names that come from Shakespeare’s life and works.
- Filling the mid afternoon spot for gentle crime drama this series is made by the same production crew that makes Father Brown, The Coroner & WPC 5
- The titles of the episodes are quotes from Shakespeare’s works. See each episode’s trivia section for the title’s source.
- On 3rd April 2018 BBC Daytime announced that they had commissioned a second series of the show with filming slated to begin in Stratford-upon-Avon in September 2018. Series two will be broadcast in early 2019.