Each week, we will be taking an in depth look at some of the best sitcoms and comedy shows from both the UK and the USA.
Today we will be looking at a comedy that’s leading is an actual doctor in real life as well – Dr Ken
About the Show
Summary of Plot
A frustrated doctor juggles his career, marriage, and family. – IMDb
Number of Seasons / Episodes
Ken Jeong – Ken
Suzy Nakamura – Allison Park
Tisha Campbell-Martin – Damona
Jonathan Slavin – Clark
Albert Tsai – Dave
Krista Marie Yu – Molly
Dave Foley – Pat
- Ken Jeong is a real medical doctor.
- In a February 2016 interview with the New York Times, Ken Jeong said that some of the show’s producers put pressure on him to cast a white actress in the role of his wife. Jeong avoided this, by casting Albert Tsai as Ken’s son, Dave, first–“There’s no way I can have a white wife, if I get Albert. So I got to get an Asian daughter, an Asian wife. I was not doing it for the cause. I was doing it to reflect my family. It had to be real.”
- With the exception of Donald Glover and Chevy Chase, the whole cast of Community (2009), including Creator Dan Harmon, guest starred on this show.
- The girl (Emily) introduced in the second season, as the stalker and girlfriend of Dave, is played by Ken Jeong’s daughter Zooey.
- The premiere of this series marks the first time in the U.S. that two series with predominately Asian-American casts aired in the same season. Fresh Off the Boat (2015) also aired on the same network, ABC.
- Ken Jeong also played Dr. Park in the television show ‘Til Death (2006).
Follow Dr Ken