Each week, we will be taking an in depth look at some of the best sitcoms and comedy shows from both the UK and the USA.
Today we will be looking at a comedy that won 9 Golden Globes and has been nominated seventy three times for a number of different awards – All In The Family.
Opening Sequence / Theme Tune
About the Show
Summary of Plot
A working class man constantly squabbles with his family over the important issues of the day. -IMDb
Number of Seasons / Episodes
Carroll O’Connor – Archie Bunker
Jean Stapleton – Edith Bunker
Rob Reiner – Michael ‘Meathead’ Stivic
Sally Struthers – Gloria Bunker-Stivic
- When the show was ending its run, Norman Lear spoke with Jean Stapleton (who was growing weary of playing Edith Bunker) about how they would respectfully have Edith die. She said, “Just have her die off, she’s only fiction.” Lear paused, then said, “Not to me, she isn’t.”
- The role of Mike Stivic was offered to Harrison Ford who turned down the part because he felt Archie Bunker’s bigotry was too offensive.
- An ongoing gag is Edith’s incompetent singing. In actuality, Jean Stapleton is a professionally trained and accomplished singer who has performed in musical theatre and productions throughout her career.
- Archie and Edith’s easy-chairs are now on display at the Smithsonian.
- Sally Struthers sued to get out of her contract in 1974.
- When the initial furor after the premiere died down, ratings were so low that the show was about to be cancelled. Then, to the genuine surprise of many connected with the show, it started building a substantial audience during the 1971 summer re-run season. In August of that year, less than a month before the 1971-72 season was scheduled to begin, CBS announced that the series would be renewed.
- This was the first television program to earn Emmys for all of its principal cast members.
- Gloria worked at the cosmetics counter at Kressler’s department store.
Five Fun Scenes
Archie Meets Meathead
The Coons Are Coming
Categories: Comedy Clicks USA, Television
Leave a Reply