Each week, we will be taking an in depth look at some of the best sitcoms and comedy shows from both the UK and the USA.
Today we will be looking at a comedy that starred the late Robin Williams and ran for four seasons and a lot of the comedy was improvised – Mork and Mindy
Opening Sequence / Theme Tune
About the Show
Summary of Plot
A wacky alien comes to Earth to study its residents, and the life of the human woman he boards with is never the same.. –IMDb
Number of Seasons / Episodes
Robin Williams – Mork
Pam Dawber – Mindy McConnell
Ralph James – Orson
Conrad Janis – Fred McConnell
- During casting, when asked to take a seat, Robin Willams sat in the chair upside down. Producer Garry Marshall selected him because “He was the only alien to audition.”
- Many of the gags seen on the show were on-the-spot improvisations by Robin Williams, and later by Williams and Jonathan Winters. The improvisations proved so effective and popular that the series’ writers soon included specific sections in the scripts where Williams was allowed to perform freely, marked as “Robin goes off here.” If you pay attention to Pam Dawber, you can often see her having difficulty not laughing at the ad libs.
- (Summer of 2015) The Mork & Mindy (1978) house is still the most popular landmark in Boulder, Colorado.
- Orkans evolved from chickens.
- The house used for the exterior shots of Mindy’s home is at 1619 Pine St near downtown Boulder. Mindy’s father’s music store was actually a bookstore on Boulder’s Pearl Street Mall.
- Mork’s furry alien pet, Bebo, was credited as himself.
- Robin Williams has said he started using cocaine on the set because he didn’t know what to say between takes to all the set people and all the celebrities hanging around watching the production. It snowballed into the cocaine addiction that would plague him for much of his life.
- In an attempt to boost ratings, the last half of the final episode was shot in 3-D. Since they were canceling the show, ABC opted to air it in 2-D and run a different episode as the series finale.
- This was the only Happy Days spin-off to be set in the present.
- Mindy’s middle name is Beth.
- Of Robin Williams’ suicide Pam Dawber said ,”I am completely and utterly devastated. What else can I say?”
My Friends, The Eggs
Mork Brings Home A Robot