Each week, we will be taking an in depth look at some of the best sitcoms and comedy shows from both the UK and the USA.
Today we will be looking at a comedy that was the place where Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher first met and became a firm favourite for couples in a comedy – That 70’s Show
Opening Sequence / Theme Tune
About the Show
Summary of Plot
A comedy revolving around a group of teenage friends, their mishaps, and their coming of age, set in 1970s Wisconsin. –IMDb
Number of Seasons / Episodes
Mila Kunis – Jackie Burkhart
Danny Masterson – Steven Hyde
Laura Prepon – Donna Pinciotti
Wilmer Valderrma – Fez
Debra Jo Rupp – Kitty Forman
Kurtwood Smith – Reginald Forman
Don Stark – Bob Pinciotti
Ashton Kutcher – Michael Kelso
- Mila Kunis was only fourteen when she auditioned for the show. When producers asked her age, she misled them by saying, “Well, I’ll be eighteen on my birthday.” and neglected to say what year.
- The filming of the final episode, “That ’70s Finale,” was frequently delayed because Laura Prepon (Donna) couldn’t stop crying.
- Mila Kunis (Jackie) had her first kiss in real-life, at the age of fourteen as an actress on this show with Ashton Kutcher (Michael Kelso). She and Kutcher are now (as of September 2017) married and have two children
- Debra Jo Rupp (Kitty Forman) wears the same red blouse and floral skirt in her final scene of the final season, as she did in her first scene in the first season.
- The producers and cast spent a lot of time figuring out a way to represent the main characters’ usage of marijuana (not in a pro-pot manner, but to have realism on a 1970’s-set show) and eventually came up with the “rotating camera” sequences set in the Formans’ basement, which showed the effects of the “puff and pass” where each character inhaled and then sent a joint forward, but never actually showed anyone doing either of those thing
- In many scenes, Mila Kunis (Jackie) had to wear platform heels, or sit down, just to appear in the same frame as Laura Prepon (Donna), due to the height difference.
- Michael Kelso (Ashton Kutcher) “falls” off the water tower a total of five times during the show, but is said to have fallen off the water tower in every grade up to and to High School Graduation.