Each week, we will be taking an in depth look at some of the best sitcoms and comedy shows from both the UK and the USA.
Today we will be looking at a comedy that became a teen cult television show – Saved By The Bell
Opening Titles / theme tune
About the Show
Summary of Plot
A TV show centered on six students and their years at Bayside High School in Palisades, California.– IMDb
Number of Seasons / Episodes
Mark-Paul Gosselear – Zack Morris
Mario Lopez – AC Slater
Dustin Diamond – Samuel Screech Powers
Lark Voorhies – Lisa Turtle
Dennis Haskins – Mr Richard Bedding
Tiffani Thiessen – Kelly Kapowski
- Though Kelly was scripted as Zack’s girlfriend for the show, the actress who played the role of Lisa, Lark Voorhies, was Mark-Paul Gosselaar’s real-life girlfriend up to and during the Saved by the Bell: Hawaiian Style (1992) movie for three years, according to several interviews given by Gosselaar.
- Originally, Zack and AC were written to be bitter rivals for Kelly’s romantic affections. Off screen, however, Mario Lopez and Mark-Paul Gosselaar were (and continue to be) very close friends. The writers, sensing the obvious chemistry between the two actors, had the characters re-written as best friends, and they remained that way for the rest of the show.
- Mark-Paul Gosselaar had to dye his hair blond every two weeks while the show was in production.
- One of the degrees in Mr. Belding’s office is for Kung Fu. It is above the filing cabinet next to his desk.
- The character Tori was named after producer Aaron Spelling’s daughter, Tori Spelling.
- Although the five friends were supposed to be the same age, Dustin Diamond was actually 12 years old when the series started. Elizabeth Berkley was 17 and the rest were all 15. Only Diamond was still at high school age at the end of the series.
- Executive Producer Peter Engel originally wanted the show to be called When the Bell Rings, but Brandon Tartikoff convinced him to go with the title Saved by the Bell.
Zacs best time out ever
Screech loses homecoming queen crown